Saturday, December 5, 2009

Do you think it's too late to go for a 4 year degree at 28?

I'm 28 and I've been thinking about going to college for either political science or a 4 year business degree. Last time I took an IQ test, I scored 131, so I'm not too worried about failing. I have strong family support, so there's no worry that I won't be able to afford it. My two biggest concerns are:



1. My age, I feel as if it's to late to be going for a 4 year degree at 28.



2. I suffer from a bad case of social anxiety. So I worry that I may have to do a lot of presentations and public speaking in front of my classmates. The social anxiety has prevented me in the past from attending college, but I'm starting to get it under control with some medication and therapy sessions. Either way, college is a big step, one that will bring on the anxious feelings.



Maybe I'm just looking for affirmation. Anyway, all answers much appreciated.



Do you think it's too late to go for a 4 year degree at 28?opera singer



It's NEVER too late!!!



Do you think it's too late to go for a 4 year degree at 28?amc theater opera theater



I hope not. I'm 35 and have been thinking about going back to school to get a degree. Just for sh!ts and giggles.
got mine at 39. graduate school at 42. never too late
no it's not to late you should go for it
not too late at all... you have the advantage of more life experience.... go for it!!
it is never too late to get a degree.



my choir director didnt get his Music Ed degree until he was in his mid-30s.



Go for it!!!!!
Not at all! Go for it! When I went to college there was 4 older people in my classes. One girl (became a very good friend of mine was 33), another girl was 45, one guy was 48, and another girl was 73. YUP 73! Most colleges are mixed ages. ;) Go back Enjoy it! Have fun! Get a great education %26amp; a wonderful life!
I see no reason why not. You'll have to work hard on the Social Anxiety, but mention it to your professors and they'll probably work with you on doing a "boiling the frog" type scenario.
No it's never too late to get your degree. I also have a really bad case of social anxiety so I know how you feel.



You could start by taking one or 2 classes at a time. Or a few less important ones online just to get the credits.



I've never had a problem speaking in front of people, I just hate working in groups. I would rather do it on my own.
It is never to late to go to college. There are medicines that will help you with social anxiety. Focus on how much more money you will make with a degree!
It is never too late to better yourself. I am older than you are and I am going for a degree in accounting. As for being afraid of giving speeches just remember you can get through it and do some relaxation and breathing exercises beforehand.
I say go for it. Age isn't important when it comes to following your dreams, and 28 isn't really very old anyway.
NOPE. ITS NEVER TOO LATE. AND DONT WORRY AOUT OTHER PEOPLE DUDE HONESTLY WHO CARES.



DO IT. IM TELLING YOU ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO BETTER YOUR SELF AND THIS WAY YOU CAN BETTER YOUR SELF IN AT LEAST TWO WAYS, HIGH EARNING POTENTAL, AND YOU CAN FACE YOUR ANXIETY. GO FOR IT.
No way man, it is never too late. A co worker of mine is 28 and going to start college in the spring and my girl friend (22yrs old) is a political science major and recently got a job a couple of weeks ago. Who cares if you are a few years older, you are still very young and there is still plently of time left for you. You can't let your fear get in the way of the next 50 plus years of your life. Give it a shot and good luck, I wish you the best, I really do.
i say try it and IQ has little to do with can you sit and do homework still? thats the hard part, i went back to school 3 times before finally graduating and the hardest part each time was giving up my goof around time to do homework.
No! How is age related to education at all.



I'm usually the oldest in my class. (Working on my 9th degree.)
Of course it's not too late. It's never too late!



I know a friend of my mom's got her degree at 60 years old.



As long as you are breathing LIVE!
Ok first of all, you are NEVER too old to do anything! 28 is a great age to go to school, and colleges now a days are filled with "non-traditional students". Secondly, it's normal for people to get stressed out about new situations, although I am sorry to hear that you have SAD. The main thing to remember is most everyone in the class is just as scared to speak up as you are, and no one is going to laugh, point, or make fun of you for doing something they have to do too. Something that I like to do is try my best to speak up in class, that way, if it comes time to do an oral presentation, it won't be so hard for me to stand up in front of the class and talk because I've already done enough talking! Anyway, I strongly urge you to go to school if you feel it is the right thing for you!
Definitely not! You're never too old to get an education. You're always learning in life. To address your concerns:



1) 28 is not old.... as long as you can make the commitment you'll be fine. 4 year degrees can take 4-1/2 or 5 or 6 or more depending on your commitments.... I do believe you have 10 years to complete a BA. Check with your university of choice.



2) re: social anxiety - you probably won't have much presentations/public speaking when going for your BA. Depends on the courses you take, but most likely not. Much work in college is independent, including projects. And if there is a presentation project, you'll have a partner at least who can help with the presentation, you wouldn't be up there by yourself. That must be some help/relief to you.



You can do it..... remind yourself you can, ok?



Good luck!
Never too late.Look at it this way. Everyone has a two year,to be competitive these days you require a four or more year.Got the time and opportunity go get it.
a big no. . . its not to late. even if you're older than 28 you can go and take a 4 year degree. . just stay focus and don't feel bad what others says to you.
it's such a very good decision entering for college. just don't mind bad people, just think a good future that lies ahead in schooling. me, I'm also 26 %26amp; married, working as helper in a house but still even if at my age if given such great opportunity to go to school again I wont think twice, it's my biggest dream to finish college but 'coz of financial problem, i can't. so please, do it! go to school! God bles!
Heavens no, it's never too late! I'm thinking about going back for more and I'm 52! As for that public speaking thing, Actually if you know your subject matter, you will have more confidence in your presentation. Try demonstration speeches first. They are actually the easiest because you are more focused on your subject that you are working with than the people around you. It won't take long and you will feel comfortable. Took me a couple of speeches and I rehearsed alot. It gets easier. Practice in front of your family first or in front of a mirror. You can do it!!! Just keep telling yourself that! You CAN!!!
Buddy I am younger than u and I feel the same way I'm 22 and wanna go and finish my college. but look at it this way if u don't do it now and u aren't gong back asue u think your too old then what will u do with yourself if u don't go for the rest of your life. Do your self a favour and get the degree. You'll be more respected and you'll be more confident knowing that u completed it. I personally was out of the social circle so I know what your talking about like I can't go and just talk to a girl and pick her up I need to be friends with her first funny eh. Don't let the anxiety bother u just don't think like there's any pressure clear your mind maybe try meditating if your familiar with that. you sound like u've been faced with many obsticals just like me I'm epileptic, legally bind, asthmatic, and I just had my gallbladder removed. I know some ppl are worse off then me.



Well good luck with the issue your faced with
you will be better at it than most of the 18 year olds.



so go ahead.
Ann Landers once got a letter from someone who said, "I wonder if I should go to college. I am 31 and when I get done in four years, I will be 35." Ann's reply was how old will you be in four years if you don't go to college."



I was not the writer, but I went to law school because of that.



Go for it. At 28 you will find you are smarter than you were at 18.
I have the same type of social anxiety. It really can limit people. I don't think people understand how tough it can be to be to think about every single conversation and interaction you have in your life to the extreme. I find there are a lot of jobs I won't even consider doing because of it.



The fact that you are now thinking about going to school and actually wanting to do it is a great sign. It means that you're finally ready to start having the life you want. I just recently had that same type of change in my life. I just decided I am sick of living my life being worried about everything. I started an online business and it's starting to work.



I don't think you will have to do any presentations at all in front of people or very rarely in college. If you are faced with giving a presentation just be honest about how hard it is for you and talk with the professor. For the most part you will be listening to them speak.



You're still young enough to get invited to college partys and experience making new friends. I knew dudes who were over thirty who would still hit up the girls at schools with success.



The thing I've found is that the more you stay away from people the harder it gets to be around people when you have to do it. If you break that cycle you'll eventually get to a point where you just like being around people.



Well anyway I am babbling I just hope you actually do this and get excited about it. GL man.
It is Never too late to get a college degree. These days, 28 is still considered young anyway :) It's just that most in your age bracket do not live on-campus ;) I have social anxiety as well with a fear of public speaking so I can relate. I would start out on a part-time basis to ease into the feeling of being in a group, classroom setting.



You may have gone over some relaxation exercises/stress management techniques to try when feeling really anxious. I find that the deep breathing one helps me. I slowly breathe in thru my nose and slowly breathe out thru pursed lips. I do that for a couple of times and then breathe normally. Perhaps you can practice that with your therapist too, if you haven't already :) Just take things one step at a time, and you will be fine.



If considering taking some courses online, please do Not go to one of those 'online schools' such as university of phoenix or strayer u as former students of u of phoenix started a website: http://www.uopsucks.com



For US colleges: http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ
The only thing standing between you and an education is you, not your age. I was 39 when I nailed mine. Stop bloviating and become pithy.
COME TO THINK OF IT!!



First is social anxiety..



Look you said this case bothered/worried you much..My question is that "how and when will you overcome that case?" AHA...I think it would be better if you will enroll in college ASAP this will play a big role to overcome social anxiety. Your course/s could help you to get rid of it.



Second is EDUCATION IS FOR ALL...UNLIMITED...ALL AGES ARE ACCEPTED..The most important thing is that YOU WANT TO ENHANCE AND BUILD UP YOUR PERSONALITY__mentally, emotionally, SOCIALLY and spiritually as well.



Anyway, keep on praying friend.



COME TO THINK OF IT AGAIN....
Hello,



I was 26 when i started me 5 yr B Arch degree and it took 6yrs for me to get the degree.Now im 35 and am planning to go for M Arch since i could only afford to have it now. So mate Go ahead and do your course you are at the right age. believe me, it will be great fun to be with younger class mates...im had experienced that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mobility scooter