Saturday, December 5, 2009

I have a renter who is late on their rent,has never got the utilities in there name. What can I do?

can I shut them off utilites each month they say theywill but never have suppose to get them in there name when they rented. Plus never on time with rent. Late 10 days and no response about itwhen contacted.



I have a renter who is late on their rent,has never got the utilities in there name. What can I do?chicago theater



yes shut off utilities, send them a notice, advising them to utilities will be out of your name by "this" date. Your not required to have utilities in your name unless this is part of there rental aggreement



I have a renter who is late on their rent,has never got the utilities in there name. What can I do?met opera opera theater



Time for eviction.
give them written notice of eviction for 1. then give them written notice if the rent is late there will be a late charge and give them written notice the utilities will be cut off at a certain date and they are responsible for getting them in their name. and if that doesn't help start making rental increases that are quite substantially and they will move and get someone in who does pay the rent on time. and put in a late fee clause in your rental agreement. I seen one person in Calgary they got a 5000 dollar increase in their rent cause the place was going in to condo and they want her to leave
What does your lease say? Utilities are a difficult issue, again what does your lease state? In my leases, they have 24 hours from the time they sign the lease to have utilities changed into their name, or I will have it disconnected. How long have they been in your rental property? Do you have a late charge issue with your lease? My tenants are to pay on the first and I do not offer a grace period, if the rent is received on the 2nd, then they owe me a $50.00 late charge, after the 10th it becomes $75.00. If they pay the rent late and don't pay the late fee, I will send them a letter stating they owe this money, I give them 3 days to pay it or I will begin the eviction process. But that's the way I work and I have spent many years getting my lease the way I want it. There are different laws for different states. Here is a web site that may help you out in the future www.nolo.com. Good Luck KG
you can contact the utility company yourself and have the utilities transferred over to their name. I wouldn't just have them shut off. Send them a certified letter stating you are going up on their rent. You could state that this is negotiable if they pay on-time or this will force them to move or pay on time. If they move, send their information to a collection agency(ies) and re-rent to someone else. :-)
Turning off the utilities will be considered self-help big no no in court you will only get in trouble and might not get them out



Best bet move for eviction based on not getting the utilities changed

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mobility scooter